Friday, July 1, 2011

From a non runner to a 1/2 Marathoner...

I am on a new serious kick: running.
I have always wanted to be able to run, but I was never able to do it. For one I used to find it horribly boring and kinda hard. On the other hand, I have always admired runners' stamina and runners' bodies are lean and gorgeous.

I tried incorporating running in my gym workouts but it was always super hard and boring.
I joined one of the classes at the gym that's beginners 5K and runs loops around the lake in my neighborhood. My first run was 6K, the loops are 1.5km and I didn't want to do under 5K, with 5:1intervals and under 40mins. Oh I was also huffing and puffing up a storm. But I did it. First run outside and I ran over 5km and survived!
My next two runs were by myself. It's hard to motivate myself, but it was 10x easier. I even had a mind vs body struggle last Sunday, when my mind wanted to eat chocolate and nap, while my body was set on running. 5mins into my nap, I jumped out of bed and put my clothes on and went for the run. Today I ran 7km, 6:1 intervals in exactly 1hour.
I was challenged to do a 1/2 marathon in October. I believe that I will accept the challenge.
Here is why:

1. It gives me a goal and something to train for. A deadline that will mark an accomplishment! Everyone gets a medal!

2. Running is about pace. I plan on learning how to pace myself in both running and life. I tend to throw myself into things with lighting speed, hence 6km first time out. Running is to teach me about pacing myself in order to reach my goal, without it I will burn out and fail.

3. Bragging rights!

4. Runner's kick ass body ;)

5. I will learn that the process is key to the end result. I am always focused on the end and never enjoy getting there. Half the fun is supposed to be in that, right? I have no choice but go through the process patiently.

Right now my focus is to run for distance, instead of speed. I don't have a time goal, I have a goal of finishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment